ABOUT THE POSITION
SCR seeks an experienced Scenic Charge Artist to oversee operations of our Paint Shop. This role is essential to leading and motivating a diverse team of scenic artists throughout our 8-show season, conservatory productions, and special events. A great fit for this role means you enjoy collaborating with designers, creative problem-solving, and being hands-on with your team and art.
ABOUT THE FACILITIES
- SCR’s Production Center is a 17,000 sq. ft. warehouse facility, which houses the Paint Shop, a rehearsal hall, and production and operational storage. The Production Center is located a few miles away from the main theater building. The paint shop features include heating and air conditioning, a sprung floor, stationary paint frames on two of the four walls, a battery-operated scissor lift, and ample parking.
- The Emmes/ Benson Theatre Center is an approx. 80,000 sq. ft. venue, which houses our three performance spaces, offices, production shops, a rehearsal hall, and SCR’s Theatre Conservatory. This is our main facility and where your office will be.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Lead and motivate the scenic art team through completion of painting projects. As the departmental supervisor, this includes hiring and training as needed and maintaining overhire schedules.
- Collaborate and communicate with a diverse group of designers each season.
- Interpret scenic design drawings and create plans for how to fulfill designers’ concepts within scenic budget.
- Execute and instruct scenic team on best practices for achieving needed scenic treatments using various materials and methods.
- Maintain regular communication of project progress and budget statuses to Production Management and designers.
- Transport and coordinate transport of paint and materials to/from Paint Shop and the Theater space as needed.
- Collaborate with other Production departments on scheduling, shared spaces, and other needs.
- Attend and participate in all Production Meetings and relay design information to the scenic artists.
- Attend technical rehearsals and note sessions as requested by the Production Manager.
- Oversee and approve material/tool purchases as needed with consideration to budgets.
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in South Coast Repertory’s Employee Handbook and the Health and Safety Manual, including adherence to all PPE and safety protocols.
- Request and report building needs from Operations when needed for the Oak St Production Center to maintain efficiency and safety.
ABOUT THE PERSON
Qualities and skills that best serve a Scenic Charge Supervisor may be:
- A minimum of three years professional scenic painting experience
- Familiarity of theatrical and/or entertainment working environments
- Proven leadership abilities and an interest in sharing skills and knowledge with a diverse team
- Demonstrated skills in scenic art techniques and an understanding of standard paint tools and sprayers.
- Experience working with and painting soft goods.
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Organizational skills to oversee multiple projects concurrently
- Strong attention to detail while on tight deadlines.
- Dedication to workplace safety
- Weekend or evening availability occasionally required
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license are highly desired
- Commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging and enthusiasm to nurture an anti-racist work culture
Regular tasks of this position may include:
- This position is the primary supervisor located at our Production Center facility
- Standing for 4-6 hours at a time
- Regularly crouching, reaching, crawling, and kneeling
- Pushing, pulling, & lifting 50-70lbs alone or with assistance
- Comfortability working at moderate heights (ladders, lifts, scaffolding)
SCR offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including a retirement plan with an employer match, escalating paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays, and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance.
SCR requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to limited medical or religious exceptions.
To be considered for the position, please submit your resume, portfolio, and 3 references to email@example.com.
About South Coast Repertory
Tony Award-winning South Coast Repertory, founded in 1964, is led by Artistic Director David Ivers and Managing
Director Paula Tomei. SCR is widely recognized as one of the leading professional theatres in the United States. While
its productions represent a balance of classic and modern plays and musicals, SCR is renowned for its extensive newplay development program—The Lab@SCR—which includes one of the nation’s largest commissioning programs for
emerging, mid-career and established writers. Of SCR’s more than 500 productions, one-quarter have been world
premieres. SCR-developed works have garnered two Pulitzer Prizes and eight Pulitzer nominations, several Obie
Awards and scores of major new-play awards. Located in Costa Mesa, Calif., SCR is home to the 507-seat Segerstrom
Stage, the 336-seat Julianne Argyros Stage and the 94-seat Nicholas Studio.