South Coast Repertory, Orange County’s Tony Award winning regional theater, is currently seeking scenic artists to join our three-person Scenic Art team. SCR produces as many as 16 productions a season: a five-play season on its Segerstom Stage, a four-play season on its Julianne Argyros Stage, one annual holiday production of A Christmas Carol, a three-play Theater for Young Audiences series, and year-round programs in education that produce three Youth Conservatory productions.
- Execution of all scenic treatments using various materials and methods under the direction of the Scenic Charge Artist.
- Maintaining the safety and cleanliness of all paint areas.
- Adherence to all PPE and safety protocols.
- Transporting paint and materials to/from our shop and the theater.
- Overseeing any overhire painters in the absence of the Scenic Charge Artist.
- At least (2) years of professional/academic painting experience and a familiarity with theater and/or entertainment.
- Demonstrated skills in scenic art techniques and a good understanding of standard paint tools and sprayers.
- A positive attitude and the ability to work well with others.
- Be flexible and adapt to changing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Be able to work on multiple projects concurrently with minimal supervision (at times) beyond basic instructions from the Scenic Charge Artist.
- Work overtime and weekends with advanced notice.
- Have a strong attention to detail while on tight deadlines.
- Act as the Paint Charge on one Youth Conservatory show per season.
- Should be comfortable with moderate heights (ladders, lifts, scaffolding) and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Having a car and a valid drivers license is strongly encouraged as we sometimes work at multiple locations throughout the day.
Normally SCR’s active painting season starts in July and goes through the end of May, but is subject to change (CORVID-19 pending). The job of Scenic Artist is a seasonal full-time position with year-round benefits. SCR’s Scenic Artists operate off-site from the theater in a separate production center, which maintains a fully air-conditioned paint shop(!)
Rate is $18-20/hr
Please send cover letter and resume with references to Leanne Convis, production office manager: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
South Coast Repertory, P.O. Box 2197, Costa Mesa CA 92628-2197. No phone calls please.
You can also CC me, Jen Stringfellow (the Scenic Charge Artist) at email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About South Coast Repertory
Tony Award-winning South Coast Repertory, founded in 1964 by David Emmes and Martin Benson, is led by Artistic Director David Ivers and Managing Director Paula Tomei. SCR is widely regarded as one of America's foremost producers of new plays.