09/18/23 – 12/09/23
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey (STNJ) in Florham Park and Madison, NJ is seeking an experienced Scenic Painter/Charge for the last two shows of our season plus our annual fundraising Gala. Position will be responsible for painting and treating scenery and props for these productions/events; maintaining the paints area in the scene shop and inventory in a safe, secure manner consistent with all OSHA regulations; supervising and training any overhire; and managing production budgets with the Production Coordinator. The Scenic Painter/Charge will collaborate with fellow production shop heads to ensure efficient and safe day-to-day operations of the Production Department.
– Interpreting designers’ drawings/renderings
– Mix or procure colors based on designers’ specifications
– Create pounces and stencils as needed
– Base, prime, treat, finish, and seal all scenic elements
– Paint or touch up props as needed
– Touch up scenic elements as mentioned in rehearsal/performance reports
– Three years’ experience as a scenic artist or scenic charge. Academic experience will be accepted.
– Broad knowledge of professional theatre practices. Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary training and experience will all be considered.
– Proficiency in all types of theatrical painting techniques: scumbling, floor painting, spattering, stippling, dry brushing, lining, texturing, stenciling, rag rolling, wood/stone/marble texture
– Experience with MS Office, Dropbox, and Zoom is required.
– Must have strong communication and time management skills. Ability to adapt to a fluctuating workload and fast-paced schedule is required.
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS by Robert Bolt
Directed by Paul Mullins
Work Period: Week of September 18 – October 6
Load In: October 9 – 11
Tech: October 13 – 15
Notes: October 16
Final Dress: October 17
Previews/Performances: October 18 – November 5
Strike: November 13 – 17
A MIDWINTER NIGHT’S DREAM by William Shakespeare, re-seasoned by Joseph Discher and Bonnie J. Monte
Directed by Brian B. Crowe
Work Period: Week of November 6 – November 22
Load In: November 26 – 29
Tech: December 1 – 3
Notes: December 4
Final Dress: December 5
Previews/Performances: December 6 – 31
Strike: January 2 – 5, 2024
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org