05/24/24 – 08/03/24
Cortland Repertory Theatre is accepting resumes for Scenic Charge Artist for our 2024 summer season. CRT is a professional theater located in upstate New York, a half hour south of Syracuse, on the edge of the Fingerlakes Region.
Our 2024 summer season will run from May 20 – August 17. Shows include My Fair Lady, Last Romance, Escape to Margaritaville, Wait until Dark, and Beauty and the Beast. Plus a few other special events throughout the season.
The theatre is an intimate (30ft x 30ft, with 10ft proscenium height) 250 seat, three-quarter round thrust stage, located on the second floor of a national historic building. There is no extensive rigging system nor fly space. Scenic shop is located 20 minutes from theatre and is well stocked with good equipment. The scenic department is comprised of six people: the technical director, assistant technical director, two carpenters, a scenic/carpentry intern, and a scenic charge artist.
Salary is $600 a week plus overtime. Travel expenses to Cortland are reimbursed up to $100. Housing is provided in single room/shared suite. We work 6 days a week; payday is Thursday of each week.
Please submit resume with cover letter and at least three references with phone numbers and email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. If possible, PDF versions of your resumes and cover letter are preferred. Interviews will take place via phone. NO PHONE CALLS, please.
The Scenic Charge Artist shall:
– Participate in the painting and /or texturing of scenery, properties and furniture for all mainstage productions.
– Maintain paint area in scene shop as well as at the Pavilion.
– Communicate with designers on painting techniques and color choices.
– Assist carpentry team in building scenery as time allows.
– Assist in the repair of above-mentioned materials during run of current production.
– Participate in all load-ins and strikes.
– Serve as a mentor and instructor for the Carpentry intern.
– Work in a safe and productive manner.
– Perform other theatrical/technical duties as assigned, including serving on running crew if necessary.
– Knowledge and practical experience of theatrical painting techniques
– Understanding of how to interpret paint elevations.
– Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
– Preferred at least 1 year experience in scenic shop, either professionally or the college equivalent.
– Preferred at least 1 year experience in scenic painting, either professionally or college equivalent.
– Excellent personal, organizational, time management and communication skills.
– Ability to motivate, manage and coordinate staff members of varying skill levels.
– Well-established skills in adapting quickly to varying projects and problems
– Must Be able to climb and work on a ladder
– Must be able to lift/ carry 50 pounds
– Must be able to be on your feel for extended periods of time
– Must have driver’s license and clean driving record. Own car preferred.
– No pets.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Cortland Repertory Theatre
At Cortland Repertory Theatre (CRT), a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization is one where all employees and volunteers feel valued and respected whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all our productions, departments, programs, and volunteer opportunities. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all. We are further committed to considering applicants who are well-rounded but do not fulfill every qualification.