$30,000-33,000 annual salary
Join our team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the quality of their work and celebrate diversity in their workplace. Virginia Repertory Theatre, Central Virginia’s largest nonprofit, professional theatre company, is seeking a Scenic Charge Artist to join our full-time staff. To learn more about Virginia Rep, visit our website.
The Scenic Charge Artist reports to the Director of Production and is part of a three-person team of scenic artists working to realize painted scenic designs for a season of work in three distinct venues, our educational touring arm and special events throughout the season.
• Work under the supervision of the Director of Production, Production Manager and Scenic Designer to execute scenic painting for scenery constructed of various materials including wood, metal, plastics and fabrics
• Lead the paint process by providing clear schedules, individual assignments, instructions and mentorship to the scenic art staff, over-hire, apprentices and interns
• Collaborate across departments to efficiently meet needs for all productions by deadlines and within budget
• Color mixing to match designer elevations
• Color matching to match existing scenery for touch up
• Creating pounces and stencils
• Coordinate paint schedules with the scene shop and props department
• Attend production meetings and technical rehearsals as assigned
• Purchase and maintain scene shop materials and equipment
• Coordinate proper disposal of paint and chemical products
• Manage the upkeep and cleanliness of work spaces and maintenance of equipment and shop facilities in order to maintain an efficient and safe work environment
• Facilitate completion of all scenic art notes throughout construction, load-in, maintenance during runs and strike of multiple shows in multiple venues
• Collaborate, as requested by the Director of Production and Production Manager, on additional projects as necessary.
• Personable and culturally competent team player who is committed to collaborating in a safe, friendly and inclusive work environment
• Demonstrated Scenic Charge experience and knowledge of theatrical paint techniques, including color mixing, color matching, faux finishes and painting backdrops
• Demonstrated experience leading a staff, organizing scenic shops and laying out large scale scenic projects
• Effective communication with design and production personnel
• Ability to troubleshoot and adapt throughout the construction and paint process
• Understanding of industry safety and OSHA regulations for live performances
• Comfortable working at heights on ladders and lifts
• Ability to stand for up to 8 hours a day
• Ability to be fitted with appropriate PPE including respirator
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and work in low light situations
• Positive attitude and desire to be part of a team
Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio, salary history and three professional references with the subject line (your last name) – Scenic Charge Artist. No phone calls please.
This position is eligible for annual and sick leave, participation in company health, life, dental and vision insurance plans, as well as our 403(b) retirement plan. Salary range is $30,000-$34,000 annually. Employment begins on or around 8/17/21. Virginia Repertory Theatre has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for employees.
Virginia Repertory Theatre is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to equitable and inclusive hiring practices and constructing an environment centered around anti-racist and anti-oppressive practices in our daily business. We invite applicants of all identities to apply as we continue to build a strong and diverse staff that represents our whole community.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com