The New London Barn Playhouse, one of New England’s most cherished theaters, is accepting applications for a scenic charge artist. Housed in a historic converted barn, the theater features professional actors alongside emerging young artists in an intimate setting. The Barn has received countless accolades, including the prestigious Moss Hart Award for Excellence in Professional Theater and numerous New Hampshire Theatre Awards.
PDF of Job Descriptions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/805q6898snzsjbx/2020.NLBP.Job.Postings.pdf?dl=0
Work Week: 8-12 hours/day with overnight changeovers. Days off vary from week to week.
Housing: Shared room
Reports to: Technical Director
• Working from the Scenic Designer’s vision, paint scenic/prop elements for all main stage productions.
• Proactively communicate with Designers, Stage Managers, Directors, and other production department heads to ensure safe and appropriate implementation of paint treatments.
• Attend and participate in production and department head meetings.
• Order necessary materials and supplies in a timely manner.
• Submit budget reports in a timely manner.
• Assist in the coordination, preparation, and execution of all paint samples and projects.
• Mentor and train acting interns on painting techniques and safety protocols.
• Working overnight paint calls during load-ins and tech rehearsals.
• Ensure successful completion of all paint notes prior to opening.
• Oversee safety of those working onstage during paint work calls.
• Ensure that personnel are properly trained in operation of painting tools and use appropriate personal protective equipment during paint work calls.
• Provide support for special events as needed.
• Experience with all common scenic art techniques and practices.
• Knowledge of basic scenic painting techniques (wood grain, brick, etc.) is essential.
• Experience using sprayers and applying texture a plus.
• Minimum of 1-2 years professional experience in scenic art, or equivalent.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, collaborative, communication and leadership skills.
• Experience working on multiple productions within tight timelines and budgets.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. with assistance.
• Ensure proper maintenance and usage of all shop equipment and paint equipment.
• Promote and participate in a safe culture in all work areas.
• Ability and willingness to work long days with a positive attitude.
• Valid driver’s license preferred.
Job dates: 05/25/20 – 08/29/20
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org