year round Salary
37k-40k DOE per week
The Phoenix Theatre Company, a LOA LORT D Theatre and Arizona’s largest professional regional theatre, seeks a year round, salary Scenic Charge Artist to start Mid March.
Located in the heart of the Central Arts District close to downtown, our beautiful 14-acre campus includes three theaters, a restaurant and bar, rehearsal halls, administrative offices, and costume, scenic, prop, lighting and paint shops, all on one site.
We produce a wide range of theatre, from full-scale musicals to comedies, dramas and original new work.
Some of the exciting shows this season include: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Camelot, Million Dollar Quartet Christmas, Hello Girls and Steel Magnolias.
The Phoenix Theatre Company produces shows in both a 380 seat proscenium space and a 250 seat black box space, for a jam packed versatile season. We are currently operating on our newly conceived outdoor stage and plan to return to indoor programming in May if safety allows.
The Phoenix Theatre Company developed and operates within a robust Covid safety system. This system achieved AEA + SDC approval and the theatre was the 20th institution to be granted AEA contracts. Safety systems include: weekly testing free of charge at the theatre, strict mask adherence, social distancing in shops, virtual meetings, detailed daily cleaning of spaces, PPE supplies provided, and a Covid compliance officer present monitoring, advising and enforcing safety rules and regulations.
The Scenic Charge Artist is an artistic position by nature and leads the execution of the scenic designer’s vision for all theatrical scenic painting treatments for all productions at The Phoenix Theatre Company.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
• Executes and/or oversees all paint treatments appearing onstage
• Trains and supervises Scenic Artist apprentices and over-hire employees
• Communicates and determines with Technical Director the build schedule and order of operations for each show
• Coordinates with the Property Department with regard to cross over treatments, space availability and schedule
• Supervises and insures that any other departments in the paint shop are using space/equipment/materials correctly and safely
• Communicates with designers to determine processes and look of shows
• Provides samples of treatments as needed
• Finds sources/options for show specific materials
• Determines materials and equipment needed per show
• Discusses budget needs and over-hire estimates with Technical Director
• Purchases materials and sets schedules for the shop
• Communicates with the Technical Director and the Assistant Technical Director about progress, deadlines and concerns
• Maintains cleanliness and organization of shop
• Researches new tools, materials and methods to use
• Attends production meetings and technical rehearsals as needed
• Participates in Scenic installation and strikes as needed
• Trouble shoots and assists with special projects
• Ensures quality of all finished products
• A degree in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience
• Background and expertise in scenic painting artistry and techniques
• Basic understanding of other production areas
• Experience with projectors, sprayers, printers, photo editing software, scissor lifts, and other relevant tools and technology
• Knowledge of standard safety practices
• Ability to read painters elevations, construction drawings, and ground plans
• Willingness to adhere to a higher production standard and the desire and competence to complete scenic production needs
Physical / Mental Demands + Working Conditions
• General theatre and scene shop work environment
• Some nights and weekends required
• Some heavy lifting and heights up to 25 feet
• Work with and operate some heavy machinery and tools
Come join our passionate and talented group of Managers, Craftspeople and Artists.
Approval is based on a cover letter/resume, interview and 3 references. To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to Karla Frederick, Director of Production at 1825 N Central Ave Phoenix, AZ 85004 or e-mail at email@example.com
For more information about The Phoenix Theatre Company please visit. www.phoenixtheatre.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org