Bay Street Theater seeks a Scenic Artist Intern for their 2020 summer season.
- Assist in all paint and scenic treatments for all Mainstage productions
- Assist in maintaining the safety, order, and cleanliness of all paint areas
- Assist in instructing run crew in the proper care and maintenance of finished surfaces, paints, mixes and sculpts scenic and prop elements
- Assist in generating paint samples, swatches, and touch up kits according to the set designer’s specifications
- Assist in the maintenance of paint equipment and supplies
- Actively participate in scenic load-in and load-outs
- Work all technical and dress rehearsals, assist in changes and touch ups to all paint and scenic needs
- Assist in an initial build/paint phase of our fall 2019 Lit Live production which will commence at a time TBD in August once final mainstage show has opened
- Assist in the coordination and application of scenic paint needs for all other BST events including, but not limited to concerts, comedian performances, outdoor performances, lobby shows, galas, and other special events/projects as needed
- May also assist with general errands, copying, filing, special events, etc.
- Assist with run crew duties at Bay Street’s annual fundraising Gala Participate in the scenic paint design and construction of the scenic elements of the intern production – a show with a limited number of performances to be conceived and produced as a joint effort with the entire intern population
- Participate in daily cleaning, organization, and maintenance calls at the Theater and/or scenic shop
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO APPLY:
Bay Street Theater offers the opportunity for interns to experience first-hand the inner workings of a dynamic, professional theater, garnering invaluable work skills in the various aspects of technical and artistic production and arts administration. By actively working with trade professionals throughout the rigorously scheduled rehearsal and production process, interns directly explore their own suitability to the demands and rewards of a life in the theater. Former interns have gone on to successful careers at organizations including The Alley Theatre, NETworks Productions, Signature Theatre, Lincoln Center, Primary Stages, Manhattan Theatre Club, and Williamstown Theatre Festival, among many more.
The Summer Internship Program runs from May 18-August 16, 2020. For production/technical interns, priority consideration is given to those who are available for extended weeks from May 11-September 6, 2020. Evening and weekend work required. Shared housing is provided, and candidates with a personal vehicle are strongly preferred for a number of the intern positions.
Along with free housing, interns also receive a weekly $100 stipend, a $25 gas stipend for those using a personal vehicle, tickets to Bay Street performances as available, and invaluable professional experience.
Interested applicants should complete the INTERNSHIP APPLICATION FORM. Please have a resume, cover letter stating interest, and 3 references prepared.
Bay Street Theater encourages applications from diverse backgrounds to apply. We seek to create an equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace representative of the core values of our organization. Bay Street Theater is an equal opportunity employer.
About Bay Street Theater
Bay Street Theater is a not-for-profit theater located on the beautiful Long Wharf, in Sag Harbor, NY. The summertime mainstage season features the mounting of 3-4 full theatrical productions, weekly comedy events and musical concerts, outdoor community performances, arts education workshops and camps for children, the annual Gala fundraiser, and many more events and shows.
Through ongoing managerial support and feedback, as well as professional development activities and workshops, our internship program strives to provide the next generation of technical theater, actors, and non-profit leaders the skills and knowledge necessary to advance to careers in their chosen fields. While working in various production capacities throughout the season, interns focus their internship in particular fields of interest, as well as assist designers and/or department heads and participate backstage as running crew during performances.
Bay Street offers a friendly and fun, yet focused environment where individuals come to learn and build their careers. As such, we look for individuals who demonstrate maturity and professionalism, a “can-do” attitude where no task is too small (or big), a strong respect for the collaborative nature of theater, with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and a willingness to take ownership of responsibilities and projects.