The Jefferson Performing Arts Society (JPAS), a major artistic influence in Greater New Orleans Area since 1978, produces a variety of performing arts programs such as Opera, Musical Theatre, Straight Plays, Dance, Children’s Theatre, and more in four different theatres: A 255 seat proscenium space, a 1250 seat high school auditorium with a 45 seat orchestra pit, a 200 seat studio theater, and our newly completed, state-of-the-art 1005 seat performing arts center. We produce and present approximately 15 productions per season, year-round.
We seek a passionate professional to start as soon as possible. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Job Title: Scenic Artist and Carpenter
Reports to: Technical Director
Under the supervision of the Technical Director, the Scenic Artist/Carpenter will assist on all builds of the season shows. Once ready for paint, the Scenic Artist/Carpenter will, under the supervision of the Scenic Designer/Scenic Charge, assist heavily on the painting of all sets and backdrops. The ideal candidate will be able to easily move from a carpentry project to a paint project.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Theatrical carpentry, including but not limited to basic and complex wood construction
o With the help of the TD and Charge Artist, realize paint treatments on a variety of surfaces
o Successfully reproduce a technique or paint treatment based upon the Designer’s vision.
o Successfully read, interpret and garner cut-list information from technical draftings.
o Assist in the general shop maintenance, tool maintenance and paint shop cleanliness and organization.
o Assist in the transportation/shifting of scenery as required by the production staff.
o Help maintain and improve stage space, scene shop, and storage facilities.
o Assist in the load in and load out of productions or events.
o Demonstrate use of proper safety equipment and methods for job assignments.
o Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• BA in Theatre preferred, or equivalent professional experience
• At least two years of experience working as a Carpenter
• At least two years of painting experience
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Scenic Artistry skills including but not limited to; the understanding of water based, acrylic, oil and latex paints, textured finishes, HVLP and other sprayer techniques, backdrop sizing and priming, surface preparation, color mixing, color matching and the adherence to recipes.
• Theatrical carpentry skills including but not limited to; demonstrating a proficient knowledge of power tools, bench tools and commonly used materials and theatrical construction standards.
• Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure; meet deadlines.
• Must be a self-motivated with strong organizational skills; a positive attitude is essential.
• Valid Driver’s License and access to necessary transportation.
• Must be self-motivated with a strong team orientation.
• Maintain moderate schedule flexibility to accommodate tech weeks, load ins, load outs and other events that occur occasionally outside of normal business hours.
The interview process will begin immediately. Contact Managing Director Nicholas Frederick to apply.