The Huntington Theatre Company in Boston, MA seeks a scenic artist.
The Scenic Artist works in collaboration with the Charge and the Assistant Charge Scenic Artist coordinating with other production departments, executes the painting of all scenery for the Huntington Theatre Company, which usually includes working on several projects simultaneously. In absence of the Assistant Charge Scenic Artist, the Scenic Artist is expected to cover duties normally covered by the Assistant.
- Paints scenery for productions.
- Supervises and trains all overhire staff members. Assigns tasks to overhire labor and manages workflow as needed in order to meet production needs and designated paint budget.
- Maintains paint supplies and equipment for the paint shop, and making shop improvements as needed, or directed by the Charge.
- Mixes colors according to Designer’s renderings.
- Trains and assists apprentice in technique and materials applications as well the required skills and duties of the various paint department positions.
- Follows and promotes safe working practices in the use of shop tools and equipment. Instructing all personnel in the proper use and handling of materials including adherence to and promotion of safety regulations and use of personal protective equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by Charge Scenic Artist.
- B.A. or B.S. in theatre or fine arts
- Minimum of three years experience in scenic painting or the equivalent.
- Must have a familiarity with scenic design and stage carpentry, inventory control, as well as supervisory experience.
- Able to use hand/power tools properly and safely in addition to sculpting, carving, drawing, faux finishing, and woodworking skills.
- Time management and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Knowledgeable in scenic painting practices and materials
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and climbing ladder.
Pay: $16-19 per hour. Dates: Seasonal, August-June.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org