In collaboration with and under the direction of the Charge Scenic Artist and Assistant Charge Scenic Artist, the Scenic Artists execute the painting of all scenery for the Huntington Theatre Company, which usually includes working on several projects simultaneously. Projects will include Huntington shows as well as outside projects undertaken by the organization. In absence of the Assistant Charge Scenic Artist, the Scenic Artist is expected to cover duties normally covered by the Assistant. Position is a theater season position.
***Please provide photo examples of past applicable work***
Role and Responsibilities
- Paints scenery for productions
- Supervises and trains over hire staff members. Assigns tasks to over hire labor and manages workflow as needed in order to meet production needs and designated paint budget.
- Maintains paint supplies and equipment for the paint shop, and making shop improvements as needed, or directed by the Charge or the Assistant Charge.
- Works with Charge & Assistant Charge to create samples for painting all scenery for both Huntington productions and any project the Huntington has been contracted to execute.
- Mixes colors according to Designer’s renderings, and the determined process.
- Follows and promotes safe working practices in the use of shop tools and equipment. Instructing all personnel in the proper use and handling of materials including adherence to and promotion of safety regulations and use of personal protective equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by Charge Scenic Artist, or the Assistant Charge Scenic Artist.
In addition to the duties listed above, The Huntington expects the following of each employee: adheres to Huntington policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets department productivity standards; participates in Huntington events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in scenic painting or the equivalent.
- Must have a familiarity with scenic design, stage carpentry, inventory control, color mixing, drawing, drafting, carving, faux finishing, and basic woodworking.
- Able to use hand/power tools properly and safely.
- Time management and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Knowledgeable in scenic painting practices and materials
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. and climbing ladder.
Range: $17 – $20
The Huntington Theatre Company provides Health, Dental, Life, and Disability insurance, as well as paid vacation, sick days, and holidays.
To Apply for Full Time Positions :
Interested candidates, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to:
- Diane Daniels, Director of Human Resources:
in either MS Word or PDF format with the job title in the message subject.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org