The Pittsburgh CLO is a not-for-profit cultural organization dedicated to the preservation, creation and promotion of the American musical theater art form, the furnishing of arts education, and providing meaningful community engagement opportunities in Western Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
The Pittsburgh CLO, the largest not-for-profit musical theatre producer in Western Pennsylvania, is seeking an enthusiastic team player to serve as the Charge Scenic Artist in our nationally recognized Construction Center for the Arts. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Charge Scenic Artist is a full-time staff position, responsible for supporting the artistic vision of directors and designers as it relates to all painting and scenic treatments for our diverse six-show season, Cabaret, New Works, set rentals, and outside build projects.
If you have a strong passion for the arts, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do:
- Translate designer renderings, notes and color elevations into meaningful samples and full-scale scenic elements.
- Communicate with scenic designers to accomplish design intent.
- Utilize scenic painting techniques and surface treatments including but not limited to drops, translucencies, ageing, distressing, marbling, wood graining, all faux finishes.
- Assemble accurate paint binder on each project (Photos, samples, etc.).
- Color matching and color mixing.
- Attend design, concept, and production meetings as needed.
- Collaborate with Director of Production on project budgetary needs for scenic elements.
- Operate within paint budgets and coordinate purchasing of supplies and equipment as needed.
- Assist in organization, inventory, and maintenance of paint shop equipment, supplies, and tools.
- Promote and maintain shop safety.
- Travel for set repairs as needed to venues in which the CLO produces.
- Keep track of hours for all scenic painters and submit coded timesheet to Construction Center Business Manager at end of each week.
- Train and supervise paint crew.
- Create and foster relationships with local scenic artists to have available for over hire.
- Other duties as assigned to advance the mission of Pittsburgh CLO.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, or 4+ years’ related experience in scenic design or scenic painting.
- A portfolio of documented experience with a variety of styles and techniques of painting including color mixing, layout, and faux treatment skills.
- Ability to interpret designers’ renderings/paint elevations and develop them into samples, if necessary, and then into full scale scenic treatments.
- Excellent color mixing and matching capabilities.
- Comfort working at heights, on ladders and personnel lifts.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong aptitude for oral and written communication with multiple departments.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible and skilled at juggling multiple projects at once with the ability to adapt quickly.
- Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends, when necessary.
- Ability to manage scenic crew, relay pertinent information and assign tasks to the appropriate artist.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Engaged in and inspired by Musical Theatre.
- Valid Driver’s License.
What we offer:
- Hourly compensation starting at $25.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
- Full-time, non-exempt position with a dynamic organization and engaged team.
- Full employer-paid benefits package (health, vision, dental, and life). Voluntary additional life and LTD available.
- 403(b), 401(a), FSA, vacation time, sick time, and select paid holidays.
- Perks include free tuition for academy classes and free tickets to all CLO productions.