Job Title: Scenic Artist Salary & Benefits: $13.00 an hour (plus overtime after 40 hours) Eligible for Insurance Benefits after 90 days Shared, dorm style housing provided at no cost
Department: Paints Reports to Scenic Charge Artist
Dates of Employment: May 6 – Aug 11 / Aug 26 – Dec 1, 2024 position could be one individual, or split between two individuals – please indicate availability when applying
Under the direction of the Scenic Charge Artist, the Scenic Artist assists in the preparation, implementation, and maintenance of all scenic treatments for each production at Flat Rock Playhouse.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Assist in paint shop cleaning and maintenance
● Assist in the completion and maintenance of all paint and scenic treatments as assigned by the Charge Artist
● Learn all production specific treatments and be able to replicate them
● Potentially serve as run crew on assigned productions
● Complete required parking shifts during show runs along with other staff as assigned by production management
● Potential opportunity to Assistant Charge one show per season under the direct supervision of the Scenic Charge Artist depending on experience
● Potential for cross training in other production disciplines, master classes, and professional development opportunities throughout the season.
● May assist in other production areas from time to time as availability and skill sets allow.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● Bachelor’s Degree in theatre/related field, or degree in progress preferred, with completed course work in scenic art.
● Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
● Knowledge of scenic art techniques including but not limited to color mixing and color theory, faux finish techniques, physical texture applications, and foam carving
● Ability to work well alone or in a group
● Ability to work under stressful situations
● Ability to work for long hours, shifted schedules, and overnight calls
● Ability to lift 50lbs
● Ability to stand on feet for an 8-10 hour shift
● Ability to climb and paint on ladders
● Ability to comprehend paint elevations
● Organized and personable Scenic Artist Job Description (cont.)
● Ability to take and apply feedback
About Flat Rock Playhouse
Flat Rock Playhouse, the State Theatre of North Carolina, enriches lives through the art of theatre by nurturing talent, inspiring creativity, and encouraging growth. Founded in 1952 as the Vagabond School of the Drama by the Vagabond Players, this mission builds on the Vagabond legacy of excellence in production, education, life-long learning, and a unique family bond that extends to its community of patrons, supporters, and partners – the Vagabond family spirit. Flat Rock Playhouse is a 501(c) (3) non-profit charitable organization.
Flat Rock Playhouse is making every effort for the health and safety of the acting company, volunteers, staff, and patrons during the COVID19 pandemic. Along with following any Federal, State, and Local mandates, Flat Rock Playhouse will be operating under the Actors Equity Association fully vaccinated guidelines. Flat Rock Playhouse strives to create a diverse and inclusive environment. All candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age. Candidates should demonstrate empathy, flexibility, and a strong commitment to building diverse teams. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.