The Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville, TN seeks an experienced scenic artist to assist and transition into the Charge Artist for the 2020 season.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- -Assist charge artist in completing paint treatments for all shows and rentals
- -Teach and lead teams of painters (staff, volunteers, and interns) scenic art techniques as specified by the charge artist
Upon taking over as charge artist:
- -Coordinate with the scenic designer and TD to develop paint treatments within budgetary and time constraints that are in keeping with the designer’s vision.
- -Coordinate with the TD to create a paint schedule (or at minimum a list of priorities/order to be completed)
- -Determine paint and supply needs for a show and purchase said needs
- -Create sample paint treatments as needed.
- -Mix and/or choose from existing paint swatches all paint colors needed for a show.
- -Explain/teach scenic art techniques to production assistants and interns who are assigned to the paint shop
- -Coordinate with the production stage manager to receive the assistance of production assistants and/or interns as needed
- -Oversee crews of painters (production assistants, interns, volunteers, hired painters, etc) to ensure all techniques are executed appropriately.
- -Ensure all scenery is painted in a timely manner.
- -Assist props in painting furniture or other paint heavy props as needed and time permitting
- -In as much as possible, ensure that any scenery to be kept after a run is treated in such a way that it will be protected (for example, ensuring foam is doped and covered with muslin, so that it will not be damaged)
- -Carve foam for scenery, as needed
- -For each new show, archive paint elevations, research images, drawings, etc and paint colors used for future reference
- -Touch up scenery during runs of shows, as needed
- -Touch up and/or recreate existing paint treatments for rentals, as needed.
- -Drop repair (both paint and physical), as needed.
- -Attend production meetings.
- -Attend design meetings, as needed.
- -Run the paint shop and keep it neat and in running order
- -Keep track of and maintain the drop inventory.
- -Pull (and put away) drops for rentals
- -Education/experience qualification or a Bachelor’s degree with a few years of charge artist experience
- -Skilled in standard scenic art techniques, including but not limited to: scumble, wet blend, dry brush, rag roll, cartooning, tromp l’oeil, weathering, distressing, aging, 3-D texturing, carving, etc
- -Well versed in the execution of faux finishes, including but not limited to: wood grains, brick, stone, tile, marble, etc
- -Proficient in reading and interpreting paint elevations
- -Proficient in color mixing and color matching
- -Creative and able to think outside of the box to create appropriate paint techniques
- -Able to lift 50 lbs
- -Good communicator
- -Drop painting experience recommended
Submit your resume, cover letter and refrences to Technical Producer, Sandra “Sam” Hahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com