APTP seeks an experienced and talented Scenic Charge Artist (and additional Scenic Artists) capable of replicating the age and character of a 100-year-old Chicago apartment building down to the layers of caked paint, worn hardwood floors, and maybe even some carved initials in the molding. We are seeking someone with strong experience in faux finishes and texture work, to dig deep into the stories of each of the immigrant families and the building history to help realize this design. Working closely with the Technical Director, Set Designer, and Production Management, the Scenic Charge Artist is responsible for producing scenery and all scenic paint, texture, and finish elements, hiring and supervising additional scenic artists, and managing the schedule and budget for scenic paint and finish elements. The Scenic design transforms the 3 story, 12,000sq ft space into an Albany Park apartment building, including hallways and stairs, 4 scenic apartments with living room, dining room, kitchen, and bedroom, and several specialty installation spaces. Current project timelines estimate 3-4wks full time equivalent for initial execution, plus notes.
The Charge Scenic Artist is responsible for the safe and timely planning, execution and completion of texturing and painting of all scenic and prop elements. The Charge Scenic Artist manages budgets, coordinates schedules and maintains a safe and clean workplace. This position requires advanced skills in all types of scenic painting and sculpture to create high levels of authenticity and details. The Charge artist will recruit (with assistance of Production Management) and lead a crew of artists to assure accurate and desired finishes of all spaces. Additionally, the successful candidate will have skills in researching surfaces and finishes, creating paint samples, and color matching. This position requires effective communication with designers and other department heads, and collaboration with the Set Designer and Ephemera/Props Designer on carved foam elements and specialty paint finishes of properties, furniture, set dressings, and specialty pieces. As this production is an open run, the Scenic Charge will create and maintain all necessary paperwork and color/technique tracking for production documentation and provide paint touch-up kits and instructions for upkeep throughout the run.
Essential Skills and Attributes:
• Self-motivated team player that handles pressure well while working in a deadline-oriented industry and embracing a safety oriented work environment.
• Proven leadership skills, with ability to prioritize and adapt.
• A documented ability to produce high quality scenic art.
• Demonstrated skill and experience in various scenic painting techniques, including but not limited to: wood graining, marbling, brick work, other faux finish techniques, carving, sculpting, texturing, and soft goods (carpets, furniture, etc).
• The ability to self-critique and correct their work while maintaining sensitivity to the overall artistic vision is paramount.
• Demonstrated ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, and experience participating in pre-production planning.
• Experience in budget and labor management.
• While the primary work schedule will be within M-F 9a-6p, willingness to work occasional early mornings, nights, or weekends is required
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• 5+ years professional experience in creating realistic and fantasy finishes.
• Experience with tv/film level of detail, and/or immersive installations
Albany Park, Chicago, IL
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Albany Park Theater Project
APTP is a 25-year-old , youth-based ensemble that creates transformative experiences that forge an inclusive community of youth artists, adult artists and audiences to envision and build a more just, equitable and joyful world. ‘Port of Entry’ is APTPs second collaboration with Third Rail Projects (‘Then She Fell’ in NYC), a Bessie Award-winning dance-theater company at the forefront of immersive and site-specific theater. This multi-year collaboration will transform a 3 story, 12,000sq. ft space into an immersive theater experience exploring a century of immigration history in Albany Park and the home making practices of the people who have lived here. Port of Entry will combine the power of immersive, site-specific and youth-created theater in a new work that fosters empathy, promotes mutual understanding, and most importantly, implicates and empowers its audience. Port of Entry has been in development since 2018 and is planned for an open run, beginning July 2023. https://portofentrychicago.com/