Driven. Engaging. Innovative. Do these words motivate you? If so, then we want to talk with you. Academy of Art University offers a rewarding employment experience for those who excel in a dynamic environment and who can consistently deliver high-caliber customer service. We thrive on ingenuity and pursue ideas every day that lead to extraordinary opportunities for tomorrow. Apply here for your next career!
Academy of Art University has an immediate opening for a talented Set Dresser to support the School of Motion Pictures & Television. The Set Dresser will work with a team of faculty and students to design the sets and props that are used for learning as well as for film and television projects.
This position will work 40 hours per week, 34 weeks per year.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Maintain high quality standards in set design, scenic painting, dressing, props and other department functions.
· Work with students and faculty to obtain information about production to execute their duties in a timely fashion.
· Build, paint and modify sets and décor and improve environments for new projects.
· Dress sets for each day’s scheduled film projects.
· Execute touch-up and scenic painting and assist with remodeling as needed.
· Ensure safety and organization; dust, sweep and arrange furniture.
· Fabricate and manage props and prop room. Make recommendations for obtaining new props as needed.
· Advise and creatively collaborate with students to create overall set and design for all projects as required.
· Create and maintain an inventory of all set dressings, props and other elements of production design under the control of the School of Motion Pictures & Television.
· Must have at least two years prior set dressing and design experience.
· MFA in production design and/or related fields is highly preferred.
· Must be physically able to lift and carry furniture and heavy objects up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
· Have moderate knowledge of basic scenic painting, carpentry, sewing, fabrication, and crafting work
· Have strong work-ethic and a solutions-oriented mindset.
· Must have solid time management skills and be able to organize priorities.
· Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment.
· Be able to communicate effectively and clearly with associates throughout the school.
· Must be self-motivated, adept at multitasking and working independently.
· Ability to follow direction well and make creative choices when necessary.
· Highly organized and capable of meeting strict deadlines.
· Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
* Please submit a professional portfolio of work along with your resume.
Academy of Art University offers full-time employees health insurance, 401k options, paid vacation based on years of service, paid holidays, paid sick leave and a commuter benefit program. The Academy also offers full-time employees an opportunity to take one undergraduate course tuition free each semester. Employees also have access to our multi-lane swimming pool, two fitness centers and our many recreational programs, including our NCAA Division II events.
Academy of Art University is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered regardless of age, Aids or HIV positive status, marital status, domestic partnership, medical condition or genetic characteristics, race or national origin, pregnancy, religion, sex, gender identity, gender or sexual orientation, name change, citizenship, physical or mental disability, veteran status or other status protected by federal, state, local or other law. Equal access to the hiring process, services, and employment is available to all persons. Applicants requiring accommodations to the application and/or interview process should contact the Human Resources Manager by calling 415-274-2222. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job email your details to Recruitment@academyart.edu
About Academy of Art University
Academy of Art University, established in 1929 by Richard S. Stephens, transforms aspiring students into professional artists and designers. For three generations, the Stephens family has been devoted to the development of aspiring artists and has held the fundamental belief that with proper instruction, hard work and dedication, students can learn the skills necessary to become artistic professionals.