Driven. Engaging. Innovative. Do these words motivate you? If so, then we want to talk with you. Academy of Art University offers a rewarding employment experience for those who excel in a dynamic environment and who can consistently deliver high-caliber customer service. We thrive on ingenuity and pursue ideas every day that lead to extraordinary opportunities for tomorrow. Apply here for your next career!
Academy of Art University has an immediate opening for a talented Set Design Shop Manager to support the School of Motion Pictures & Television. The Set Design Shop Manager will work with a team of faculty, students, and oversee staff, to design the sets and props that are used for learning as well as for film and television projects.
This position will work 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year.
Specific responsibilities include:
Instructing and Classroom Liaison:
- Act as shop, studio and lab liaison with department directors and faculty to coordinate and ensure responsiveness to all curriculum needs.
Generally provide assistance and respond to questions from instructors and students.
- Train and provide for the safety of all students, faculty, and staff using the shop, including hosting safety orientations.
Coordinate and oversee necessary annual safety inspections.
- Attend safety meetings pertaining to the Lab Resources Group and the University at large.
- Coordinate, and oversee shop, studio and lab use by other AAU Departments.
Staffing and Training:
- Interview, train and supervise all Set Design shop technicians.
- Create and update Set Design Shop hours.
Equipment and Set Design:
- Issue and recover tools for students and instructors.
- Clean, repair, and maintain all tools and machinery in the shops, studios, and lab.
- Regularly inventory shop tools and supplies.
- Build flats and other required items for film studios and all other locations requiring sets for filming at 466 Townsend Street
- Create and maintain inventory on furniture and other items used on sets
- Creative designer for sound stages
- Create drawings for set requirements: set up to look like different locations – Interior & Exterior
- Coordinates with the Director on the status of the sound stages in relationship to its use for classes
- Design specs (CAD) to scale on ground plans and elevations
Budget and Purchasing:
- Compiles detailed estimates on projects related to the sound stages for Director’s approval
- Participate in all shop, studio and lab renovations.
- Designs and builds doors, walls and other needed items to accommodate spaces in the Townsend building
- Assist the department in coordination and set-up for special events.
- Must have at least two years prior set dressing and design experience.
- MFA in production design and/or related fields is highly preferred.
- Must possess a basic knowledge of the tools, materials and techniques typical in wood fabrication at both large and small scale.
- Must be skilled in the operation of standard hand tools and large-scale equipment specific to that of a wood shop including, but not limited to: Table saw, drill press, miter saw, band saw, router, belt sander, etc.
- Must possess excellent customer service and effective communication skills and be safety-minded at all times.
- Must have a friendly and patient personality and enjoy working in a collaborative environment with a diverse student population.
- Proficiency in with Microsoft Office, Adobe CS3 suite is a plus.
- Must be physically able to lift and carry furniture and heavy objects up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Have strong knowledge of scenic painting, carpentry, sewing, fabrication, and crafting work
- Have strong work-ethic and a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Must be self-motivated, have solid time management skills and be able to organize priorities to meet strict deadlines.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
* Please submit a professional portfolio of work along with your resume.
Academy of Art University offers full-time employees health insurance, 401k options, paid vacation based on years of service, paid holidays, paid sick leave and a commuter benefit program. The Academy also offers full-time employees an opportunity to take one undergraduate course tuition free each semester. Employees also have access to our multi-lane swimming pool, two fitness centers and our many recreational programs, including our NCAA Division II events.
Academy of Art University is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered regardless of age, Aids or HIV positive status, marital status, domestic partnership, medical condition or genetic characteristics, race or national origin, pregnancy, religion, sex, gender identity, gender or sexual orientation, name change, citizenship, physical or mental disability, veteran status or other status protected by federal, state, local or other law. Equal access to the hiring process, services, and employment is available to all persons. Applicants requiring accommodations to the application and/or interview process should contact the Human Resources Manager by calling 415-274-2222. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Academy of Art University
Academy of Art University, established in 1929 by Richard S. Stephens, transforms aspiring students into professional artists and designers. For three generations, the Stephens family has been devoted to the development of aspiring artists and has held the fundamental belief that with proper instruction, hard work and dedication, students can learn the skills necessary to become artistic professionals.
As the largest, accredited, private art and design university in the nation, Academy of Art University attracts students worldwide, and is dedicated to the career preparation of artists and designers across a broad spectrum of disciplines. Our highly sought after graduates are hired by prestigious creative companies worldwide.