The University of North Carolina School of the Arts (UNCSA), School of Design and Production has a low “student to faculty” ratio and a collaborative environment. The UNCSA resident faculty is made up of artists who have distinguished careers in the profession, the faculty is encouraged to continue professional activities while employed at the school. The University is supported by more than 150 guest artists throughout the year and collaborates with various educational, cultural, civic, and business organizations to promote the importance of the arts in our society.
1. Teach courses primarily in Scenic Art at the School of Design and Production Graduate and Undergraduate Programs.
2. Supervise all scenic art students and scenic art activities involved with the School of Design and Production.
3. Supervise operations, budget and all activities in the Scenic Art/Paint Shop.
4. Perform formal advising and mentorship of scenic art students.
5. Direct all interviews of perspective students and all recruiting efforts for the Scenic Art program at the School of Design and Production
6. Participate in curriculum planning and design with the faculty of the School.
7. Participate in core faculty institutional service, including:
a. attendance at departmental faculty meetings and retreats
b. participation in departmental committees
c. participation in campus-wide committees
d. other tasks as assigned by the dean
Professional experience in scenic art
• In-depth knowledge and expertise in techniques related to scenic art
• Demonstrated ability to work closely, and in collaboration with a diverse student body, faculty and staff
• Ability to direct the curriculum in the Scenic Art program at the School of Design & Production
• A broad interest in the scenic, visual and performing arts
• Must pass background check
• MFA or professional experience in theatrical scenic art (if the applicant does not have a terminal degree (MFA), they will have to provide evidence of professional experience in theatrical scenic art at time of hire for credentialing).
• Membership in USA829
• Multidisciplinary approach to two and three dimensional design
(installation art, performance art, digital design, etc.)
• Established and active national/international exhibition record
UNCSA utilizes a multi-year contract system in lieu of tenure.
Instructions to Candidates
Candidates MUST complete an online EPA application, and upload the following documents:
• Letter of interest (cover letter)
• Curriculum vitae
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• Contact information for at least three references