The Ogunquit Playhouse, a professional musical theatre company entering our 86th season in 2018, is seeking an Assistant Scenic Artist. Scenics will be responsible for painting all set pieces, some properties and drops for 5 large-scale musicals and 4 children’s theater productions.
The ideal candidate will work with our Resident Scenic Charge Artist to effectively portray the designer’s vision. The ability to communicate effectively, problem solve, and create new techniques to solutions along with an eye for detail and aesthetics are essential skills at The Ogunquit Playhouse Scene Shop. Candidates should be self-motivated, have a positive attitude, work safely and quickly and exhibit professional behavior at all times.
• Strong organizational skills are required, and ability to create samples with Charge off of reference materials, while also keeping a detailed log of procedure and recipe for future duplication.
• Ability to work independently and with a team as required.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to coordinate space on the floor with Charge and Scene Shop Forman or other department heads to keep a good workflow for all.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with occasional non-traditional hours.
• Basic knowledge of tried and true scenic techniques required.
• Experience mixing, and matching colors required.
• Experience working from paint elevations and reference material required.
• Experience sculpting/carving foam is a plus.
• Have a working knowledge in theatrical procedures, scenic painting tools and products.
• Ability to lift, push, or maneuver 50+ lbs, as well as climb ladders and work in high places.
• Must have own transportation
Contract extends April through October. Free company housing is available. To apply send resume with portfolio, references and cover letter to THE OGUNQUIT PLAYHOUSE, Attn: Production Manager Ed Romanoff at: email@example.com. Please include 2018 Assistant Scenic Charge in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org