Colorado College in Colorado Springs is seeking a Charge Scenic Artist.
Duties: Interprets the designs of the theatre creative team’s illustrations and research concerning the color and texture of various design elements (including, but not limited to scenic, properties and special effects) surfaces and develops methods of reproduction for color, texture, preparation and ageing of all surfaces.
- Work with Technical Director to execute the aesthetic designs of the space and production designs resulting in the successful implementation of the technical requirements of each theatrical production.
- Work with Guest Artists/Scenic Designers to implement their designs within budget and time parameters.
- Paint all productions and supervise the scenic painters.
- Oversee paint inventory.
- Collaborate with the Scenic Designer(s) on the creation of all sculpture and set dressing.
- Coordinate with Technical Director and Director of Production for supplies and ensure supplies are in professional working order.
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of all properties and furniture.
- Coordinate the rental of scenery and props that are the property of the Theatre Company to other organizations nationally.
- Participate in all training made available
- Participate when appropriate, in coordinating support arrangements for special functions such as openings, fund- raising activities with other Fine Arts Center departments.
- Assist with education tours when necessary.
- Participate in the Fine Arts Center Theatre School’s programming as a teacher and mentor as requested by the Director of Theatre Education.
To Support and actively contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity, inclusion and equity at Colorado College and work effectively with all members of the college community.
Promote a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner; immediately reporting unsafe situations and accidents; following college procedures; and participating in appropriate safety training. Demonstrate environmental sustainability by using college resources wisely and supporting the college’s sustainability initiatives and innovation.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in theatre or equivalent years of experience plus a minimum of three years of professional theatre painting experience; current industry knowledge of both scene painting techniques and technical theatre including but not limited to, painting, sculpting, fiber glassing, basic stage craft and carpentry; strong communication and collaboration skills; general office skills, including general knowledge of Microsoft office.
Preferred Qualification: A Master’s Degree in Theatre Production, Scenic Painting or related field.